Well, last Wednesday was my last sewing class. I can’t believe how quickly those 8 weeks went! Not to mention how much I have created in that short time.
I didn’t want to start anything brand new so I took with me, the disastrous hot pink tank top and my Royal blue skirt from B3460,
which I had cut out and had completed the first couple of steps.
I wanted to see if my sewing teacher had any ideas for making the pink tank top fit me. So we looked at it and she suggested putting in a number of pleats or tucks in the neck to pull it together both in the front and back. I assumed I would do this with the machine, but after a number of false starts where the knit moved at the last moment and didn’t sew in properly, and then stabbing myself in the finger with a pin hard enough to require a band-aid, I figured it would be easier to do the pleats by hand. So I moved onto the skirt which went together really easily and I am quite happy with the pockets. I didn’t get a chance to finish the skirt before the end of class, but all that was left to do was the hem.
So this last weekend, I spend all my time in my sewing room, surfacing only for meals. So I finished the blue skirt. Finished the green skirt and red capris. I made another top from M6927 view A, exactly like my Hawaiian print one, but in a fabric I had liberated from my mum’s stash. It is a pale aqua with a pattern on it in white of stylized flowers. I also completed M6551 View C, in a similar fabric to the one displayed on the website, oddly enough. It’s a thick cotton with some stretch in it, with a white background and a dense pattern of red flowers in a sort of water-colour style.
I didn’t make the belt, because I ran out of fabric.
My only issue with this dress is that because the fabric is fairly stiff, the sleeves and the facings are a bit thicker and stiffer than I would like. Still, it looks pretty spiffy on, though it is a little shorter than I was anticipating.
The last thing I did was to cut out M6899 View A, in a mid blue cotton.
I also convinced my DH to let me bring some chain maille up to work on while we watched the World Cup. So I have been having a good time making a long rainbow chain in the full Persian style. I haven’t decided what the final product will be yet. The other thing I did last weekend was to measure a number of the earrings I have in my Etsy shop and updating my listings.
So that was the weekend, and sometime during, I decided to set myself a challenge for the coming week. I would wear something I made everyday. And I have done so!
Monday – The new M6927 (with rtw beige capris) excellent office outfit!
Tuesday – M1620 blouse in the white/blue floral with B3460 in the Royal blue – LOVE this combo!
Wednesday – The red capris (which are more like shorts) that I doctored from M3056 (with a rtw white blouse) a bit frumpy but super comfy!
Thursday – M6551 red/white floral dress
Friday – M6927 in Hawaiian with rtw jeans as well as the matching earrings my pink full Persian bracelet
* rtw = ready to wear/purchased
Now for the disaster. M6899 View A.
I had cut it out in a plain mid blue fabric, I should have used a pattern, patterns hide errors! The pleats were tricky enough, and i wasn’t use to dealing with so many of them on one garment. I also made the mistake of taking out the basting before I had completed construction, so that it was a lot of fabric to deal with. This however was not where the whole thing “fell apart” as the saying goes. The big trouble was with the collar.
First, I foolishly forgot to double-check the pattern and I sewed the collar to the wrong side of the shirt..dang it!
Second, it got accidentally snipped when I was removing the stitches.
Third, the sewing machine started having fits as I was trying to re-attach the collar (and somehow hide hole) because the thread had fallen off of the arm which at least was easy to fix once I had figured out the problem.
Fourth, could NOT figure out what the heck the button band and collar edge instructions were saying.
I ended up somehow having the button band I think folded over too many times, so that you couldn’t actually tie the collar properly. It looks so crappy, especially with all the places the fabric has torn or frayed from sewing, un-sewing, re-sewing and re-un-sewing! UGH.
So I shall now take a break from sewing for me, and get to work on my DH’s multi-meter case. Assuming there is time this weekend, since we are rebuilding our deck.
P.S. Sorry there are no pictures currently of the completed items, I will add them this weekend.