and sew on and sew on.
It’s been a busy craft week this week! The last time I was in Michael’s buying feathers for hair combs, I also took home a collection of glass pearls in pink and chocolate brown, of various sizes. So besides to take a break from doing chain maille, I made this elegant (at least I think so) graduated pearl necklace with matching earrings.
Saturday my DH and I were exploring Kanata and I insisted we stop in at the Fabricland there, which is sadly closing, but at which pretty much everything is 60% off! Oh my goodness, self-control was going to be needed!
I was looking for black 1/2″ wide, singlefold bias tape for my dress, along with some tracing paper and a wheel. No tracing paper or wheel to be found and the only bias tape in the size I needed that was even close was beige, so I got the beige because it accented the dress nicely which has beige in the pattern. However, what I DID find was a TON of fabric on sale. I was like a kid in a candy store!
I came away with three different fabrics, 11 metres in total, the bias tape and lots of thread for less than $100!
The black and white fabric is cotton with some stretch, the blue floral is 100% cotton and the blue wavy fabric is a knit. I have already cut out a little t-shirt in the knit from this pattern. I think I am going to make the tunic pattern that is the same as the dress I am making in the blue floral.
Yesterday evening was sewing class, and I started to assemble my spiffy new dress! It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to get the pleats right and lining everything up properly. Still, the overall construction of the dress if fairly simple, and that wonderful wonderful Janome still purrs its perfect lullaby. It also includes features such as built-in seam allowance markers on the bed of the machine and little numbers to help you thread the machine with ease (which is good because I forgot the instruction booklet at home).
I was really hoping and expecting to finish the dress in class and maybe even start out on the shirt I cut out, but getting the pieces together properly and getting the bias tape in took a bit longer than expected. I got pretty far though and now all that is left to do is to finish the neck, and hem the sleeves and bottom.
Of course I had to try it on as soon as it went together, and it fits great and is quite comfortable! I am going to whip up a little tie belt to go with it as well.
I figured I would practice my modeling skills 😉
I will get a better picture once the dress is actually finished.