I have been hard at work sewing lately, although I took a quick break to go to the cottage. So I only got some crochet done. Go a weekend without some kind of crafting? Yeah, NOT gonna happen!
Sewing classes have been going really well. I have started working on the dress for
and so far so good. I cut out a 22 in the shoulders and gradually widening out to a 28 in the hips. This was a great learning pattern for me, because it is the first time I have done any gathering, put in darts or installed a zipper. Each thing took at least 3 tries. But I am happy with it and it fits really well! I still need to finish the seams, add the arm and neck facings and hem, but it should be done soon.
And that is the good news! Now for the disasters!
So, from this pattern I also cut out the pants…and boy i should have cut a 26 with a 24 in the crotch, because when i tried them on, they were GIGANTIC! sigh. So last night I removed the elastic, and took it in a good inch on each side. I am also going to use a draw string and elastic combo instead of just elastic, and make them capris instead of pants. In the middle of this process I ran out of thread…
So you will remember the green skirt I had started from
Well I finished it AND the belt and I was pretty happy with it I thought. But you know what? It was also kinda big. So I decided I would also take it in and instead of elastic, I would use the same elastic, draw-string combo as for the pants. So I opened up the waistband and removed the elastic. I managed to rig up a tie with a piece of elastic in the middle and I took the skirt in a good inch on either side again. But as I was trying to put in button holes (for the tie to go through), I ran out of green thread…*$^@#&*!!!
Breath SJ, breath!
So I had also cut out a plain tank top pattern in fuchsia knit. I was being so smart, I cut out a 22 in the top and widened it out enough to fit through the bust and waist. I started assembling it and so far, so good and then I finished the neck line and tried it on…AAARRRRGGGGHHHH @#&@$#&&#$&*$*#&%^%&@#&!
The damnable thing went almost halfway down the front showing an excessive amount of cleavage, and the shoulders were still too wide and the arm holes too small!
It was at this point last night that I decided it was time to go do something else. So I did.
I have a couple of ideas for making it work for me, and adding some decorative elements…I might tackle that tonight, or just wait till the weekend.
So the red pants and the green skirt are on hold until I can get to Fabricland and get more thread (thankfully I kept the sticker with the colour code on it). In the mean time I have lots of fabric to wash and items to cut out from my last trip to Fabricland from the weekend. My Aunt who does costuming for a local theatre popped by on the weekend, with some great kids fabric for me, so I bought some patterns for my 4-year-old niece. As well as a bunch of fabric to cut out more stuff for myself. My DH also issued me a sewing challenge for a case for his, oh I can’t remember what it is called, but it measures electrical current or something like that. I wish I could book a week off work and just lock myself into my craft room! I have an urge to make some chain maille too. But of course the weather is so nice out, I like to spend as much time as I can in my garden. Good problems to have 😉