Tag Archive | recycling

summer slow down

I haven’t done all that much crafting or sewing lately, and who can blame me. The weather has been wonderful, we have been spending our weekends working outside, redoing the deck, hanging out on a friends boat and watching the World Cup.  I also forgot to add photos of my completed items from the previous post.  oops.

I haven’t been completely idle in the craft department of course, I completed the mult-imeter case for my DH, and that was quite a challenge!

So the multi-meter is a hand-held device about the size of a large paperback novel, and has a number of attachments for measuring temperature and electrical current.

The first thing I had to do was to take all the necessary measurements, and then come up with a pattern that would work.  I spent a lot of time mulling it over before I applied scissors to fabric! The original design my DH and I came up with was to basically fold over a piece of the fabric and sew in a number of pockets, but once I sat down with the device and the fabric, I realized that it wouldn’t work because of the depth of the device, about 3″.   So I needed to rethink the entire thing, and this is what I came up with.

image (5)

 

A deep pocket for the device at the bottom of the case, and then a long flap above it with pockets for the attachments.

It has been a LONG time since I have had to add fractions together, but I had to do quite a bit of that for this!  I needed to make sure my seam allowances were included in my measurements.

The first issue I ran into was trying to get the device pocket to go together.  it had a front piece, a side piece to give it depth and these went together onto the main back piece.  Sewing curves is never easy and trying to do it with a thick and stiff fabric, was not going to work.  So the long side piece had to be re-cut as three pieces.   I had to trim a lot of the seam allowance off so that it would fold in nicely.

The rest when together fairly easily.  I even included a flap with a snap to hold the device in.  The attachment pockets went in quickly and I decided to put a flap over them so that they wouldn’t slide out.  Once that was finished I was able to install the strap and clip closure.

image (7) image (4) image (6)

My DH is quite happy with the results.

 

I spent a lot of yesterday in my craft room as well, most of the time spent sorting through all my amazing stash of old jewellery that my aunt brought me, and planning some cool upcycling projects! I have plans for making x-mas ornaments from old ornate brooches!

I have fairly large hands, and the kinds of bangles you can buy in cheap accessory shops don’t generally go over my hands easily or comfortably.  I have a ton of them anyways of course.  So the first thing I made was a wire wrap tree, with gold plate wire and labradorite chips, using a gold bangle as a frame.  I can see myself making more of these!

bangle tree

 

I also made an abstract one with various white beads as well.

That is it for now, folks.